What Is The Moscow Mule
The Moscow Mule. A little careful promotion, and wham! Vodka’s breakout cocktail. Professional bartenders hated it, but the suckers bit. At least the Moscow Mule is easy (your dog could make one), smooth, and refreshing. Taken by itself, it does no harm, and compared to so much that has followed, it’s practically elegant.
History Of The Moscow Mule And How It Became A Cocktail
In the age of the Cosmopolitan and Green Apple-tini, it’s hard to imagine a time when vodka cocktails didn’t enjoy the popularity they do today. Yet these delectable drinks weren’t really popular until the late 1940s and 1950s. The Moscow Mule, a cocktail created for a Smirnoff promotion, helped fuel this change in drinks culture.
In 1941, John Martin, president of Heublein and Jack Morgan, owner of the Cock’n'Bull bar in Hollywood, met in a bar in Los Angeles. Together they mixed Morgan’s ginger beer with Smirnoff and lime and christened it the Moscow Mule. They ordered specially engraved copper mugs and Martin set off to market the cocktail in bars around the country.
He bought one of the first Polaroid cameras and asked barmen to pose with a Moscow Mule copper mug and a bottle of Smirnoff. Then he would leave one copy of the photo at the bar and take a second copy to the bar next door to show them that their competitors were selling the Moscow Mule.
Between 1947 and 1950 Smirnoff case columns more than tripled and nearly doubled in 1951. It was the start of a long period of success. Smirnoff promoted a variety of cocktails, which all used the mixability of Smirnoff cocktails.
Recipe And Instructions To Make A Vodka Moscow Mule
In a glass with ice, add vodka, simple syrup, and lime juice. Top with ginger beer and stir. Garnish with mint sprig and lime slice.
- Love Russell House Tavern’s Egg-Centric Menu, Don’t Love Everything Else (justaddcheese.com)
- Oprah’s Own Recipe for the Moscow Mule Drink (genzpad.com)
- US resident needs Tasmanian Ginger Beer Injection (ask.metafilter.com)
- thirsty thursday : strawberry-lime mojitos (backtoherroots.com)
- Dark ‘n’ Stormy and ginger beer (inpursuitoffood.wordpress.com)
- Seagram’s Moscato (wine-by-benito.blogspot.com)
- C is for Cocktails (alphabetcooking.wordpress.com)
- The Art of Springtime Cocktailing (ctacla.wordpress.com)
- Cocktail Confessions: Four Delicious & Seasonal Spring Cocktails (fresh1027.radio.com)
- Cocktail Confessions: Four Delicious & Seasonal Spring Cocktails (kymx.radio.com)