Keeping Everyone Safe from COVID-19
We all need to make a dedicated effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19. This is a team effort, which we stress in our bartender training environment as well. We have assessed the risks in our location and implemented protocols to minimize the risk of transmission by
- ensuring all students and staff are fully vaccinated
- refusing entry to everyone that show signs of any kind of sickness
- reviewing industry specific protocols
- staying up to date on orders, guidance and notice from the provincial health officer
- following suggestions and guidance from the BC Food and Restaurant Association
Reducing the risk of person to person transmission
First Level Protection – Using Masks
Masks are required 100% of the time in class. We have reviewed the information on selecting and using masks and instructions on how to use a mask. We understand the limitations of masks to protect the wearer from respiratory droplets. We have trained workers in the proper use of masks. We also have temporary masks on site for anyone that forgets their mask.
Second Level Protection – Administrative
Our instructors have guidelines to follow for sanitizing all common touch points before and after class. In addition, signage on proper handwashing techniques has been posted for all, as well as proper use of a mask. Handwashing is encouraged for everyone.
Additional Levels of Protection
If required, we can re-install our engineering barriers to separate students. We can also reimplement smaller class sizes to ensure adequate spacing between people. Currently these additional measures are not required, but we continually monitor the PHO recommendations for updates.
Implementation of Effective Cleaning Practices
We have reviewed the WorkSafeBC recommendations on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Our workplace has enough handwashing facilities on site for all our workers. Handwashing locations are visible and easily accessed.
We have policies that specify when workers must wash their hands and we have communicated good hygiene practices to workers. Our staff understanding through their years of bartending experience that frequent handwashing and good hygiene practices are essential to reduce the spread of the virus.
We have implemented cleaning protocols for all common areas and surfaces, including washrooms, tools, equipment, tables, desks, light switches, and door handles.
COVID-19 Safety Policies
Our workplace policies ensure that instructors, students and others showing symptoms of COVID-19 are prohibited from entering Fine Art Bartending School. In addition, we also stipulate that
- Anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19. Symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache.
- Anyone directed by Public Health to self-isolate.
- Anyone who has arrived from outside of Canada or who has had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms
Please also note that visitors are prohibited in the workplace. We want to ensure the school has only the instructors and students entering and occupying the space as an additional precaution.
We also ensure that if our instructors start to feel ill at work, they must
- Report to management their symptoms, even if mild
- Wash their hands immediately and regularly, dismiss class and go straight home.
- Call 9-1-1 if symptoms are severe, such as chest pain or difficulty breathing
The school will then be cleaned and disinfected, with all surfaces sanitized before classes resume.
Our Instructors have the training and strategies required to address the risk of violence that may arise as customers and members of the public adapt to restrictions or modifications to the workplace.
Our Communication Plan
We must ensure that everyone entering the school, including students, know how to keep themselves safe. As part of that communication plan
- We have a training plan to ensure everyone is trained in workplace policies and procedures.
- All workers have received the policies for staying home when sick.
- We have posted signage at the workplace, including occupancy limits and effective hygiene practices.
- We have posted signage at the main entrance indicating who is restricted from entering the premises, including visitors and workers with symptoms.
- Supervisors have been trained on monitoring workers and the workplace to ensure policies and procedures are being followed.
Continued Monitoring and Updating of Plans
Being as we are experiencing new developments regularly, we have a plan in place to monitor risks. We make changes to our policies and procedures as necessary. Our instructors know who to go to with health and safety concerns, and when looking to resolve those issues, we engage the necessary authorities.
You can find our WorkSafeBC COVID-19 Safety Plan here.
Let’s all work together and keep everyone safe. At Fine Art Bartending we’re doing what we can to train bartenders, while maintaining a safe environment for both instructors and students. Please always wear a mask!
Reviewed & updated December 2021