Keeping Everyone Safe from COVID-19
It is of utmost importance that we all make a dedicated effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19. This is of course a team effort, which we stress in our bartender training environment as well. We have assessed the risks in our location and implemented protocols to minimize the risk of transmission by
- reviewing industry specific protocols
- orders, guidance and notice from the provincial health officer
- suggestions and guidance from the BC Food and Restaurant Association
Reducing the risk of person to person transmission
First Level Protection – Elimination
We have established and posted an occupancy limit for our premises. Limiting the number of people in a workplace is an important way to ensure physical distancing is maintained.
Second Level Protection – Engineering
We have installed flexible barriers to ensure physical separation between students in the classroom. Barriers are our second level of protection when space between students is less than 2 meters.
Third Level Protection – Administrative
Our instructors have guidelines to follow for sanitizing all common touch points before and after class. In addition, signage on proper handwashing techniques has been posted for all, as well as proper use of a mask.
Fourth Level Protection – Using Masks
We have reviewed the information on selecting and using masks and instructions on how to use a mask.
We understand the limitations of masks to protect the wearer from respiratory droplets. We understand that masks should only be considered when other control measures cannot be implemented. Finally, we have trained workers in the proper use of masks.
Implementation of Effective Cleaning Practices
We have reviewed the WorkSafeBC recommendations on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Our workplace has enough handwashing facilities on site for all our workers. Handwashing locations are visible and easily accessed.
We have policies that specify when workers must wash their hands and we have communicated good hygiene practices to workers. Our staff understanding through their years of bartending experience that frequent handwashing and good hygiene practices are essential to reduce the spread of the virus.
We have implemented cleaning protocols for all common areas and surfaces, including washrooms, tools, equipment, tables, desks, light switches, and door handles.
COVID-19 Safety Policies
Our workplace policies ensure that instructors, students and others showing symptoms of COVID-19 are prohibited from entering Fine Art Bartending School. In addition, we also stipulate that
- Anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days. Symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache.
- Anyone directed by Public Health to self-isolate.
- Anyone who has arrived from outside of Canada or who has had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms
Please also note that visitors are prohibited in the workplace. We want to ensure the school has only the instructors and students entering and occupying the space as an additional precaution.
We also ensure that if our instructors start to feel ill at work, they must
- Report to management their symptoms, even if mild
- Wash their hands immediately and regularly, dismiss class and go straight home.
- Call 9-1-1 if symptoms are severe, such as chest pain or difficulty breathing
The school will then be cleaned and disinfected, with all surfaces sanitized before classes resume.
Our Instructors have the training and strategies required to address the risk of violence that may arise as customers and members of the public adapt to restrictions or modifications to the workplace.
Our Communication Plan
We must ensure that everyone entering the school, including students, know how to keep themselves safe. As part of that communication plan
- We have a training plan to ensure everyone is trained in workplace policies and procedures.
- All workers have received the policies for staying home when sick.
- We have posted signage at the workplace, including occupancy limits and effective hygiene practices.
- We have posted signage at the main entrance indicating who is restricted from entering the premises, including visitors and workers with symptoms.
- Supervisors have been trained on monitoring workers and the workplace to ensure policies and procedures are being followed.
Continued Monitoring and Updating of Plans
Being as we are experiencing new developments regularly, we have a plan in place to monitor risks. We make changes to our policies and procedures as necessary. Our instructors know who to go to with health and safety concerns, and when looking to resolve those issues, we engage the necessary authorities.
You can find our WorkSafeBC COVID-19 Safety Plan here.
Let’s all work together and keep everyone safe. At Fine Art Bartending we’re doing what we can to train bartenders, while maintaining a safe environment for both instructors and students. Please always wear a mask!