Meet your Instructors
Lead Bartending Instructor – Devin Wilhelmson
Devin has done almost every job in the industry from coat-check to management, in every kind of bar from diner to nightclub.
Originally from Vancouver Island, Devin started his career working the door at Nanaimo’s Level Two Nightclub. In a span of just two years, Level Two promoted him through the ranks of bussing to bartender, then bartender to management, before finally asking him to run the entire club. After three years in charge there, he branched out to mix drinks with Original Joe’s sports bar chain and Nanaimo’s own Modern Cafe.
More recently, Devin has worked the bar at Milestones in Vancouver. Today, he focuses on his love of DJ’ing at local nightclubs and bartending private high end events. During the week though, he teaches here with us at Fine Art, sharing first-hand experience on how to rise through the industry and run a successful bar.
Weekend Instructor – Sam O’Neill
Sam has a decade of experience in the bartending industry, having served and bartended in restaurants and bars across Canada.
Fresh out of high school, she left suburban Ontario for something new. To the Prairies she went to try her hand in the banquets department at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis, in Alberta. This was in this beautiful mountain terrain where she developed her love for both the hospitality industry and the travel opportunities that it brings. From there, she moved on to other hotel restaurants in Ottawa and Alberta, including the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge in Jasper Alberta. With a passion for beer, eventually she switched from high end hotel restaurants to high volume pubs, pouring pints in breweries and British pubs including The Rose and Crown in Banff and The Mill Street Beer Hall in Toronto before settling in Ottawa at the Royal Oak for a while.
Missing Western Canada, Sam recently relocated to Vancouver. When she’s not teaching about the endless opportunities that bartending brings, you can find her slinging drinks downtown at The Winking Judge. If you can’t find her there, then she is probably a pint into Vancouver’s ever-expanding craft beer scene.
Jeroemie is everything a Bartender should be, and has done pretty much everything a Bartender can do. With over 20 years of experience to Fine Art and a resume that would need it’s own website to list.
At the age of 18 Jeroemie went to Bartending School in Toronto, and then got to work right after. He spent the first few years of his career working in various nightclubs throughout Ontario and Quebec. A highlight even included a stint at Toronto’s famous Dock’s Nightclub. He soon realized though, that with the universal skill of bartending, he needn’t stay in Canada. As with all adventurous spirits, he set out to see the world.
For years, Jeroemie was able to work behind one bar after another, in one city after another, seeing the world as he went. His bartending travels started in Britain working in various pubs throughout England, Ireland, and Scotland. Then when he’d seen his fare share of the UK, he moved on to see the rest of Europe. Gigs included working at hotel bars across the Mediterranean, even Bartending on cruise lines occasionally to get from one country to the next. Jeroemie also took his skills down under, pouring pints all over Australia including at the world famous Bojangles Saloon. After years of travelling, and pouring literally thousands of drinks, Jeroemie decided to return to Canada, but not before a quick stop in New York to pour just a few more drops. Eventually, Jeroemie came back home, settling here in Vancouver.
Over his expansive career Jeroemie has picked up a massive store of knowledge of all things drinkable. Add to that, an endless catalogue of stories from behind the world’s most famous bar tops. He’s been able to enjoy such a diverse career because of the effortless rapport he shares with his customers. As a student, you’ll notice that familiarity in less than 5 minutes.
Flair Instructor – Ryan Boyd
Ryan has been with Fine Art Bartending School Vancouver for more than 12 years now. Over that time Ryan has been the lead bartending instructor and manager. Now Ryan has taken on the daunting task of teaching our students the basics of Working Flair Bartending. Finally, a short list of Ryan’s career highlights include:
- Graduated from Fine Art Bartending School Vancouver in 1994
- 18 years of bartending at Bar None, Pop Opera, Luce, La Terrazza, The Roxy, Richards on Richards, Voda Nightclub & Lounge, Mars Nightclub
- 10 years Instructor/Performer/Lead Instructor with the largest Flair Bartending training company in the world: extremebartending.com
- Organized, judged, competed-in & won various Flair Bartending & Cocktail competitions locally & internationally
- Featured Flair Bartending & Customer Service Trainer in the worlds #1 best selling Working Flair & Customer service DVD series
- Exhibited, performed, and spoke at various international trade shows
- Featured in Bar & Beverage and Night Club & Bar Magazine
- Appeared on various TV programs showcasing & promoting Flair Bartending
- Winner of National Martini, Cocktail, and Flair Competitions
- Traveled extensively internationally training hundreds of Nightclub, Casino and Restaurant Bartenders in Working Flair Bartending
- Consulted in the areas of Customer Service, Efficiency, Cocktail Menu Creation, Wine List Creation, and Suggestive Selling Techniques
- Continues to pursue a passion for wine, touring vineyards locally & internationally